Future Graduate Students
When applying to the Department of Plants, Soils & Climate review committees and potential graduate student advisors consider the following School of Graduate Studies requirements in their review of applicants. Providing as much of this information as possible to potential supervisors will expedite the process of finding a potential supervisor prior to submitting your application to the School of Graduate Studies.
- Research/writing/work experience
- Undergraduate and graduate records and curriculum
- Formal recommendations (3 required)
- A minimum 3.0 GPA for the last 60 semester credits
- A score at or above the 40th percentile on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE and GMAT and the 40th percentile on the entire MAT is required by the School of Graduate Studies. Some departments may require a higher score, so be sure to consult the individual department websites or Graduate Program Contact representing the department.
- International students with a prior degree from and English-speaking university are exempted from the English proficiency exam requirement, otherwise the Graduate School language test required scores are:
- TOEFL scores of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), 79 (internet-based) or higher required for candidates from abroad
- Alternatively an IELTS score of 6.0 or higher
- Alternatively a PTE Academic score of 53 or higher
- If any applicants scores fall below these requirements a supervisor’s approval is required for a waiver
Students without an undergraduate or graduate degree in plants, soils, biometeorology, climate or a closely related field may be required to complete selected undergraduate courses prior to admission as fully matriculated graduate students in the Dept. of Plants, Soils, and Climate. Qualified applicants are occasionally denied admission because faculty members in the applicant's area of interest do not have the time or funds to advise additional students. The serious applicant is encouraged to discuss his or her research/academic interests and goals with Astrid Jacobson (PSC Graduate Studies Coordinator) prior to preparing an application.
Graudate School Application
Application forms for admittance are online at the School of Graduate Studies' website. Begin Application Here